Saturday, December 8, 2012

REVOLUTION

I received an interesting Facebook message this week. The author of the message was reaching out to me, I believe, because he/she was or is concerned about me. This individual wanted to know if I was "OK".
Initially, I found humor in the question based off the character of the enquirer.I even giggled out loud. Once I allowed the irony to subside I found myself reflecting on the question: what it means to be "OK", the fact they felt concerned enough to ask, etc.

To answer the question, I am better than OK. I am awake. I feel connected to the world around me in a way that I always knew was possible but was never ready to accept as possible for me. I am sure this apparent "change" in my life approach has become obvious to both those close to me and those acquainted with me. For those who love me and who have always seen what I am now becoming (or what I am capable of being), this change is welcomed. I think it is only concerning for those who are not ready for me to grow, to evolve. Not because of how this change effects me, but because how it effects them. I think popular culture or Hip Hop culture refer to this as "haters gonna hate". Yeah... something like that, just a little deeper.

The reality is this change is not new, it has been building inside of me for years (below is a poem that I wrote in 2010 - it woke me from my sleep, literally). It was the fear that comes with self growth that has held me back, the burden of responsibility stopped me from shedding layers of dead skin and revealing what was lay beneath. Being "Chameleon like" is easy. Taking on this identity allows you to live like an agnostic who never professes anything, just instigating that all things could be or could not be. The reality  is rolling in and out of beliefs is draining.

In contrast, "Being" is liberating.


Revolution

I am seeking a revolution
But not of the physical world
One that will start in my mind
Expand past time and space
Logic will not be able to confine
Or limit the amount of growth that is due
It is overdue
Like a library book that was checked out
But never returned or read
Its contents were too intense for a feeble mind to comprehend
And I knew it
Soon as began scanning those first few sentences
Found myself overwhelmed
Frightened by words
Pieced together so perfectly
They spoke to me
They spoke at me
They screamed my name
So they were bound
Stored away
Not returned to the shelf where I found them
But stored alone
Like me
Those words possessed power
They locked themselves into my memory banks
Where they transformed into matter
Because thoughts do become things
I always considered myself lucky
Never admitting it was me
Because with admittance comes responsibility
The burden of awareness was all I could see
When I needed it
It was there
Fear of greatness
Leads to mediocracy
A place where I govern myself free of expectation
A place where the mean rule supreme
Where average is the only language the locals speak
But so-so was a concept I could never quit grasp
 It was unnatural and awkward
It made me anxious inside my own skin
So I shed it
I bled myself out
Replacing blood that was devoid of life with oxygen rich plasma
Full of energy
That runs to the tips of these hands
Hands that clinch into fist
Pumping into the air
Trembling with an impulse to create
No longer bound by self inflicted cuffs
That serves as bracelets
That defines limitations as
“One’s inability to accomplish said mentioned things” i.e. greatness
Open myself up to becoming prodigious
No longer resist
Entertain all ideas…

You see
I find myself seeking a revolution
But not one of the physical world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment