Friday, December 14, 2012

RUNNER


I have always been a runner. Running serves multiple purposes in my life; a coping mechanism, my favorite form of exercise, a personal test, a release, a sanctuary where I retreat when I need to feel something real in a world of illusions, and so on. At some point in life my running changed. I stopped running away from the things that scarred me and started running towards the things I wanted. I can not say for certain when that exact moment was. I have a feeling this transition occurred around 2000 A.D. on the rainy island of Okinawa. I distinctly remember being out late one night running, 10pm or later. As I was heading out on my run, I stopped at the pull ups bars. The Battalion Chaplin happened to be there. Our conversation went a little something like this:

Chaplin: “Marine, I always see you out running. I just gotta know, what are you running from?”

Me: “I am not running from anything, Sir. I’m running towards something.”

Chaplin: “Interesting, but I find that hard to believe, out here in the dark running alone.”

Me: “Maybe I’m running from the same thing that has you out here doing pull ups in the middle of the night, Sir.”

I can not say for certain that night my running changed, but it was definitely the first time I verbalized this change of purpose. Since that humid Okinawan night I have run hundreds, probably thousands of miles. Each mile ran, I learn something about myself; Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always something.

I can not imagine that there will ever by a day when I won’t run. Maybe, but it is highly unlikely. I am sure as I evolve, so will my running, and vice versa. Below is a poem I wrote a few years ago about “running”. I hope you enjoy it.


RUNNER

When you met me
You knew I was a runner
You knew I sought refuge in these shoes
That when shit hits the fan
I hit the streets
176 steps per minute = 6:08 pace
Sweat running down my face
Adrenaline running through my veins
And Honey… I can do this all-night-long…
Run that is

You see I had a good teacher
"Jackie"
She taught me well
Taught me that if I ran hard enough and long enough
The burning in my thighs could replace this pain in my chest
That responsibility was only temporary
That there was nothing we couldn’t run from
Rent's due – RUN
Another bad check – RUN
No more hand outs – RUN
Unconditional love, bullshit…
There is no such thing, so you better – RUN

And that’s what we did
Mama took my by my hand and we ran
But she failed to realize that boy would develop into this man
So here I am
Standing here
In this constant state
Straddling this door way
With one foot out
Always ready to –RUN

And I know I deserve better
I know I could be so much more
IF I could just shake this urge to run
Genetically predisposed to navigate these asphalt seas
Physically weakened by the sting of honey bees
Seeking out off ramps and escape routes
Covering my tracks
Backtracking
Mapping out new routes to old destinations
Sprinting out the back doors of places I never should have been
Mischievous grins, thoughts, mistakes
All fuel my next 10K
Feet keep turning, leading me away from my ability at being great
Always just a step away…

Always just a step away
This false sense of freedom
Is it fear?
Is it a fucking lie?
Or just weakness disguised as independence?
But I don’t wanna be alone, impendent of you
What is the point of running a race if there is no one there to cheer you on?
What is the point of taking another step if it is not leading me closer..
To greatness... to completeness… to LOVE…

All things working together for the greater good
Ideally this is great
But I’m doing it again…
Sprinting out the back door of a thought
Where I never should have been
I’m running towards a quickly setting son of a woman
Who only taught her baby boy how to – RUN

2 comments:

  1. Great imagery and metaphors, Billy. I especially like the "burning in my thighs could replace this pain in my chest," "navigate these asphalt seas," and "mapping out new routes to old destinations."

    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the pleasure to witness Billy's transformation while serving with him in the Marines. He has always been an inspiration to me and my attempts at staying in shape throughout my life since I have witnessed Billy get up and run the sand dunes and hills surrounding 29 Palms. Mind you, this was during the weekends when the majority of Marines would sleep off their hand overs.

    This poem is a great insight into the results of the transformation and how I imagine he derives the inner will to continue pushing on mentally and physically. Kind of reminds me of a Bruce Lee's Tao (Philosophy) of training.

    ReplyDelete